Instructor: Bonita Lehigh
Have you ever dreamed of being your own boss or turned an idea into reality? Do you enjoy the TV Show Shark Tank? The Entrepreneurship Program offered at FTC focuses on recognizing a business opportunity, starting a business and operating and maintaining that business.
- Explore inward for developing a clear career interest profile.
- Explore outward by participating in similar job experiences and internships.
- Learn about the “entrepreneurial mindset” and skills necessary for a successful venture.
- Create marketing tools such as logos, business cards, website and an e-commerce presence on the Internet.
- Create a QuickBooks file for a more solid understanding of:
- Invoicing – Accounts Receivable
- Bookkeeping & Finance – Chart of Accounts and Bank Reconciliation
- Database Development – Customers and Vendors
- Inventory and Cost Analysis
- Create a Business Plan integrating management and legal components necessary for beginning a new venture.
- Participate in opportunities to present their products or services to the community launching their business.
- Learn about Human Resource Management including Recruiting, Retention, Labor Relations, Compensation, Benefits, Legal Issues, and required tax filings for employees and subcontractors.
- Business Ethics and Social Responsibility
Most of the jobs created in recent years have been in the small business sector. Forecasts indicate that this trend will continue, especially within the State of Maine. Entrepreneurship integrates finance, marketing, management and legal components necessary for beginning a new venture. A perfect opportunity for students unsure of their pathway, and for those curious about launching their business idea with minimal risk.
- No required prerequisite.